Sunday, November 26, 2006

Considering Color

Even though I don’t have time to scrapbook right now, I still find myself thinking about it at odd moments.

I’ve been intrigued with color for a while – what colors look well together and why. I learned a lot from the book “Color Harmony” although it’s not the most user friendly book on color out there. Now I actually articulate why some colors go together and others don’t.

Anyway, back to the odd moments. These days I tend to find myself eating alone in restaurants fairly frequently because of being in the middle of a move. Last night I sat at the bar at Applebee’s watching football while waiting for my food. I have zero interest in college football but what caught my eye was one team’s uniform colors. (USC I think.) Almost a mustardy yellow and a ketchup red, but both colors had more orange in them than actual mustard and ketchup colors. Against the bright green of the grass, the colors were quite striking. All bright colors, but the hues contrasted enough to make the combination pleasing.

Sometimes I wish I could custom color my own paper. I often page through my mountains of paper looking for just the right hue or shade and not finding it. That is where creativity in working with available materials enters in. Knowing when it’s time to stop the search and choose a contrasting or complementary color or shade, or just go with black or white. But hmm... custom color paper - I don't know how it would work, but it's something I would go for!

1 comment:

  1. Can you produce the right color in Photoshop or Paintshop Pro and then print an entire sheet?

    ReplyDelete