Sunday, June 03, 2007

Disappointing

A few weeks ago I took a business trip to Minneapolis. While it's not a destination that's ever been on my Top 10 list, I was sure I could find something interesting to see. And I did, actually more than I had time to get to. I did get to the Sculpture Garden and the Mississippi river walk to view the Stone Arch bridge, and I visited the fantabulous new Minneapolis Public Library. What I really, really wanted to see turned out to be the easiest to get to - the Mary Tyler Moore statue at 7th and Nicolette Mall. Being a huge fan of the Mary Tyler Moore Show that ran from 1970-1976, I actually felt emotional when I saw it. After all, Mary Richards (MTM's character) was my role model.

Unfortunately, I got no pictures of it because my camera wouldn't start up, and I wasn't able to find any postcards of it. Yes, I know there were other options - throw-away cameras or have someone else take the picture, but I didn't work really hard to taking those options.

This is the first trip I've been on in quite a while during which I took no photos. I didn't think it would bother me so much, but now I do feel as I missed an important dimension of the trip. Yes, I moved more quickly, but I still found myself thinking what would make a good photos for my scrapbook.

Even though I've had zero time to scrapbook lately and I still have photos to upload and organize and even more to scrapbook, I'll remember the next time this happens that taking photos is very important to me. I'll find a way to get them because now I realize how much having them means to me, and how looking at them brings back the memories so clearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment