Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Creativity and Mental Clutter

I read somewhere that one sign of creativity is the tolerance for clutter. The statement referred to physical clutter, but I believe that also extends to mental clutter, the unrealized ideas and dreams we have and the thought and reasoning that brings them about. This tolerance helps clear the mind’s pathways for the execution of creative actions, tasks, and projects.

I do not suffer from a lack of creativity, as I once thought I did. But because I work fairly equally from my right and left brain, I torture myself with the belief that my clutter can be organized. It can, to an extent. A small extent, I am finding. I need to let go of my belief and face the truth.

What better time than now?

I lost my job a couple of months ago. Along with all the normal anxieties and grief, I also felt relief. Wow, I thought, I’ll have time to organize my life. Not.

My rich and full life did not stop because my job did. In fact, it became even more full. Trying to totally organize it is like trying to boil the ocean, to use a tired analogy. I’m not only not succeeding in boiling it, but beginning anew each day at this impossible and pointless task. A stupid project for such a smart person, and one that keeps me from moving forward.

I could go on and on about setting limits and boundaries, making choices and living with them, accepting what is. All of that is important.

It all comes down to boiling enough water for my cup of tea in the morning. That’s living. The rest of the water stays where it is, doing what it does, creating waves and weather and providing life for the planet. I can look out on it and know it can’t be boiled. Whew. Big breath in and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment