Monday, September 04, 2006

Scrapbooking While on Vacation

Before I left for my trip back East in July, I sent ahead some scrapping materials, mostly the big things like the album and some pages, along with stickers and letters and a couple of pens. I stuck a few other items into my luggage.

The project I chose was organizing and scrapping a couple hundred of my great aunt’s snapshots from the 1920’s and 1930’s. This was a good choice because it requires fewer materials (no trimmer - I don’t cut old photos, and I don’t use a lot of embellishments). It was also a project I knew my sister would enjoy working on with me, and we were actually in the location where the photos were taken. That provided inspiration and ideas.

As it turned out, we spent most of the time organizing. We review the photos, came up with themes, and grouped the photos accordingly. This was no small task. In the end I only actually scrapbooked a couple of pages, but that was OK.

A couple of unexpected obstacles I ran into were weather and space issues. While I was there, the weather was extremely hot and humid, affecting both motivation and materials. Humidity combined with heat tends to make me cranky and not prone to want to do detail work (read: lazy). The high humidity also makes paper and photos curl, and anything with any sort of glue extra sticky. There is not a lot of work surface space at our summer place that is truly suitable, and finding a spot that was clean, away from the elements, and well-lit was a challenge.

All in all, I learned much from the experience and consider it to be a success despite the small number of pages completed.

No comments:

Post a Comment